Sunday, January 9, 2011

April 1993 Harper's Bazaar.

I have been in Long Island the past week fews for winter break, living in the room that I grew up in. And I turned it upside down, cleaning everything...old clothes, shoes, books, pictures, basically all of the things I acquired throughout my teenage years. And there it was...under my bed was a giant clear box holding all my magazine subscriptions since the age of twelve. And another in the back of my closet. I think it is safe to say, I was and still am obsessed. The glossy pages of every fashion magazine I had subscribed to had never turned away my attention. Does anybody remember the publication, YM? It was then my favorite read, the best part of my day when it came every month in the mail. I still remember that last issue that YM produced in December/January 2004 featuring Usher on the cover. I was disappointed that the publication ceased, the assets of YM were then purchased by Conde Nast publications and I was led to a subscription to Teen Vogue. 

Last year I found an April 1993 issue of Harper's Bazaar, lonely sitting on the "Discarded" section of a library. With not even a second thought, I brought it home with me. I finally got around to reading it today, I love how fashion changes all the time and how reading an old issue brings you back to past styles, such as structured suits. And how some things never change, like TOD's shoes still stay true to their originals. And how a large chunk of people in the fashion industry are still shining; Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Karl Lagerfeld, Giorgio Armani... Of course I found one particular article very interesting. On page 261, "Down to Earth" is written about a jewelry designer Ted Muehling who opened a charming little shop on Greene St. in Soho. He started out collection shells and other precious natural elements such as berries, sea pearls, and rocks. Using his creative imagination, he developed unique jewelry. Creating a work space was supposed to only serve as his studio, but from a friend's suggestion, he turned it into a shop. Today you can find its current location on 27 Howard St. Check out the website http://www.tedmuehling.com/store.html
Page 260-261
Page 262-263

No comments: