Saturday, September 24, 2011

Daphne Guinness Exhibition at FIT

Yesterday after class at FIT I went over to the museum, where the Daphne Guinness exhibition was taking place. I have been meaning to take a look since the day it opened and believe me, I was so glad I did. If you are planning on visiting New York sometime soon, or live here, you need to take a stroll to Chelsea asap! The collection will be ongoing from September 16, 2011-January 7, 2012.

Daphne Guinness is a living fashion icon, an heiress, an actress, a socialite, a muse, a collector of haute couture...okay now at this point you begin to wonder- what isn't she? The exhibition proudly displays her treasures. Many pieces of clothing were made especially for Daphne, and a few were designed for her. The very first item that caught my eye when I went downstairs were the pair of obnoxious heel-less platforms. The exhibition was divided up into six different sections, with each section highlighting a part of Daphne's style. They were Dandyism, Armor, Chic, Evening Chic, Exoticism, and Sparkle. I felt that as I walked deeper into the exhibition, they more costume-y the pieces became, and the more interested I was. The couture pieces were beautiful, and I was fascinated. Alexander McQueen, Valentino, Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, Christian Lacroix, Azzedine Alaia pieces were dressed on the mannequins, who had black and white hair tied into loose buns. Unfortunately pictures were off-limits, I would have loved to share but seeing it in person is incomparable. Some of my favorites were the Christian Dior tailcoat, Balenciaga formal long dress, Christian Lacroix navy blue silk satin evening dress, Gareth Pugh sheath dress, and the Alexander McQueen "empire" style dress. Lastly as I walked to the back of the exhibition, there stood a black feathered Alexander McQueen cape, it was gorgeous.

Looking through the collection, Daphne definitely has a bold and rare sense of individual style. She is not afraid to take a risk when it comes to fashion. If I were to collect anything, I couldn't think of anything better than couture!

No comments: