Sunday, April 28, 2013

Profile Spotlight: Jaime Lefkowitz of 'Eclectic'

The artsy-bohemian senior at New Paltz University, Jaime Lefkowitz, opens up about her jewelry line, “Eclectic.” Currently majoring in Art Education and minoring in Art History with a concentration in Ceramics, she is immersed in a creative energy that is as distinct as her signature yarn and metal based pieces.

When did you first get started creating jewelry?
The first time was in 2010, when I took my first metals class. My professor was actually really into creating pretty brooches, and we had the chance to look at his work. That inspired me to make beautiful jewelry. Usually in the metal classes that are taken here, it’s not necessarily jewelry that you make, but he allowed us to make that option. So I went that route, and started to make jewelry.

Where do you find inspiration for your designs?
I would definitely say all the magazines that I subscribe to; Glamour, Marie Claire, People, Vogue, InStyle, and Real Simple.

How often do you design?
I design everyday. I’m always thinking of new things. It can be when I shower, when I’m outside, wherever I am. I sketch the designs before. And if I don’t have my sketchpad, I always write notes down in my phone. I have an idea column and I write down my everything and go back to it.

Where do you shop for jewelry?
I like Lord & Taylor, Urban Outfitters, Zara, Century 21, and definitely thrift stores. We have a really big Salvation Army that I go and donate to in New Paltz.

Do you have a signature piece?
Long, hooped yarn necklaces. Right now, I’m really into mixing fiber and yarn with metals, creating kind of like a bohemian feel. I made two of those pieces to experiment with yarn, metal, and brass. I want to try to make bracelets like those now.

Where do you source materials?
Fabric stores, little businesses and boutiques around New Paltz, where I like to buy metals and accessories. 

Your creative work space is…
I make them in the studio at school using the studio’s equipment. Sometimes I don’t even need the studio, depending on the design. I can just make the pieces when I am at home.

What are your plans for selling in the future?
I don’t currently sell, but I do I think I would start online, such as Etsy and see how it goes. Right now I have about ten pieces; I want to start making more before selling.

Have you brainstormed any ideas for upcoming pieces?
Those midi knuckle rings that are really in right now!




Photo Credits: Jaime Lefkowitz

No comments: